Buying your first home can be the most exciting time of your life as well as the most stressful. If you want to take the stress out of the equation, following along with this simple checklist from a top homes for sale Charleston SC real estate professional that will make things go much smoother in the end. Take a deep breath and take these one at a time before you make that life-changing commitment.
1. Research Your Realtor – Just like car dealers, doctors, or mechanics, not all realtors are the same. Visit a few social media websites and poke around to see who the county is raving or ranting about in the real estate world. You should be able to find a great realtor fairly easily by asking the group for realtors they recommend.
2. Get Your Credit in Order – Now id the time to order a copy of your credit score and see if there are any mistakes or areas that you can improve so that your scores are as high as they can be. The higher your credit score, the lower your eventual interest will be when it comes time to secure the loan from the lending institution.
3. Check the Neighborhood – Spend some time driving the neighborhood at night, research some websites about that community, and ask around how people generally feel about living in that area. People who love the area will tell you all about the best things about the region, while those who hate it there will show you all the sides that you might not be aware of. Now you can make your own decision more informed.
4. Fair Market Analysis – Once you find a house that you are interested in, ask your realtor for the selling prices of similar houses in a five mile radius. You can also use websites like Zillow to gather the same information so that you can have some negotiating power when it comes time to putting in your offer on the house.
5. Learn to be Patient – In the real estate industry, you have to learn to expect the unexpected. Things happen between the contract signing and closing, so you ca not let each little setback crush your dreams. Just know that your realtor has been through this dozens of times and will do everything that they can to get you to closing in a timely manner so you can begin your new life in your new house.
The key to buying your first house is allowing the professionals like the realtor, lawyer, and house inspectors do their job so you can get in your house as quickly as possible.